Friday, December 26, 2014

Friday Tunes: Christmas in LA

This week’s holiday-themed installment of labour themes in popular music is Christmas in LA by the Killers (with special appearance by Owen “the Butterscotch Stallion” Wilson). The song is written from the perspective of an actor in LA.

Facing the holiday season alone, he grapples with isolation (“There’s a well-rehearsed disinterest in the atmosphere”), loss of identify (“And I played so many parts/I don’t know which one’s really me”), opportunity cost (“Left a girl behind in my old man’s truck/Sometimes I wonder where she ended up”) and career frustration (“Another casting call on Thursday/For a job that doesn’t pay”).

Overall, rather dreary lyrics with a lovely melody. While it might be hard to sympathize with an actor in LA (as the snow flies outside…), the notion of isolation and opportunity cost is a common one among many workers who travel (often great distances and for long periods of time) for work. Consider this week’s earlier post about workers shuttle from New Brunswick to oilsands and mining jobs on the Prairies.



Woke up, the sun streaming in my room
Warm beach front palm December afternoon
You close your eyes

Another year blows by
Somewhere in the wind
Just another life

My parents sent a Christmas card and some tennis shoes
We understand why you’re staying
And we’re proud of you

There’s a well-rehearsed disinterest in the atmosphere
I don’t know if that’s what this town gave me
Or if it lead me here

And I played so many parts
I don’t know which one’s really me
Don’t know if I can take

Another Christmas in L.A.
Another pitcher of Sangria
In an empty beach café

Another Christmas in L.A.
Hold me tighter Carmelita
I don’t know how long I can stay

Left a girl behind in my old man’s truck
Sometimes I wonder where she ended up
Maybe she got married, had a couple of kids
Who do you think you’re fooling man?
Of course she did

I’m walking in Dan Tana’s bar
Try and talk with Harry Dean
I don’t know if I can take

Another Christmas in L.A.
Another casting call on Thursday
For a job that doesn’t pay

Another Christmas in L.A.
Another burnout in a tank top
Who seems to bask in his decay case

A fat protagonist in flip flops
With an extensive resume
From Echo Park to Catalina

Dreaming of a white Christmas
The one I used to know
Tree tops glisten, children listen
To sleigh bells in the snow

Another Christmas in L.A...

-- Bob Barnetson

No comments: